Patriot's Day in Boston is filled with an abundance of activities for all Bostonians and New Englanders. From revolutionary battle reenactments to the 11am Red Sox game to the Boston Marathon, this day is a major holiday in Massachusetts. In 2013, Patriot's Day happens also to fall on April 15th. While April 15 is synonymous with Tax Day, this year it is also Jackie Robinson Day.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy tells us that 42 is the answer to everything in the universe. Perhaps. But today I just want to share the 42 things we love most about being a florist in Boston in honor of the great Jackie Robinson.
- The Swan Boats
- The Boston Marathon
- Heartbreak Hill
- The Celtics
- The Museum of Fine Arts
- Fenway Park
- The Zakim Bridge
- Arnold Arboretum
- Franklin Park Zoo
- Santarpio's Pizza
- New Kids on the Block
- Paul Revere's House
- The North End
- Bunker Hill Monument
- The Freedom Trail
- Athens of America
- Hospitals in Boston
- Roxbury Latin School
- Sam Adams
- USS Constitution
- The Bruins
- Pizzeria Regina
- Mike's Pastry
- The Public Gardens
- Baked Beans
- Union Oyster House
- The Holocaust Memorial
- Castle Island
- Gardner Museum
- Boston Pops
- JFK Library
- Newbury Street
- The ICA
- Red Sox
- New Edition
- Faneuil Hall
- Walking City
- we 'Pahk ah cahs'
- Forest Hills Cemetery
of course no tribute to Jackie Robinson we could be complete without recommending the new movie 42.
During Veteran's Day we are reminded of our freedom and the many who have sacrificed their lives in defending that freedom. At Arlington National Cemetery
in Virginia, thousands of visitors show their respect for our veterans with flowers for their graves. Flowers at a gravesite not only show honor and respect but also show love for the one who has died.
Arlington National Cemetery even realizes the importance of having arranged flowers. They offer complimentary cemetery vases to insert your mixed flower bouquet into. Arlington National Cemetery is a visual masterpiece. Walking the grounds of the cemetery sends chills up your spine. Every American can say they have a loved one there, as these men and women have given us so much more than we could ever give them. Flowers at their gravesite is the least we can do.
Arlington National Cemetery even has a set of floral guidelines which exhibit how important they feel flowers are.
- Fresh cut flowers may be placed on gravesites at any time. Arlington National Cemetery provides portable cones for flowers that public may use. These cones can be found throughout the cemetery in centralized stone containers.
- Artificial flowers may be placed on gravesites from October 10 through April 15.
- The government does not assume any responsibility for damaged or missing flower arrangements.
- Planting of flowers, shrubs, etc. is prohibited.
- Potted plants are permitted during the period 7 days before and 7 days after Easter.
- Wreaths are permitted during the holiday season (from 1 Dec until mid-January).
- Floral items will be removed from the gravesites as soon as they become faded and unsightly.
- Prohibited decorations include: statues, vigil lights, flags, glass objects of any nature, and any type of commemorative items and are not permitted on gravesites—except for U.S. flags placed on the gravesites by government employees for Memorial Day.
- Floral items and other types of decorations are not to be secured to the headstone or marker.
- Flowers may be placed at the bottom of a column at the niche wall or in the Columbarium.
Every Christmas since 1992, Arlington National Cemetery has been the recipient of 5000 donated Christmas wreaths for the graves there.
Even if you cannot get to Arlington National Cemetery on Veteran's Day
. There are thousands of veterans' graves in the Boston area where you can leave a stem or two of flowers to show your respect.
As I keep going back and forth and with my colleagues today as why Massachusetts is celebrating a holiday, I felt inclined to explain a thing or two about Patriots' Day.
Patriots' Day is celebrated on the third Monday of every April in Massachusetts. The holiday commemorates the battles of Lexington and Concord of the American Revolution. Reenactments take place every year at Lexington Green. Even re-enactors of Paul Revere and William Dawes will make their historic rides all the while chanting 'The British are Coming,'. The Boston Marathon is also run on Patriot's Day every year, but it is not the reason for the holiday.
Every year the Red Sox schedule a game at Fenway Park at 11am start so that the end of the game will coincide with the runners passing at nearby Kenmore Square. The Patriot's Day game is a great Fenway tradition and a ticket to this game is almost as coveted as one to Opening Day.
As a florist in Boston, our flower delivery drivers may run into some closed street and road blocks. But some proper planning and experienced staff enable Exotic Flowers in Boston to deliver througout Massachusetts on Patriot's Day.