Thanksgiving feasts can be decadent, simple, festive and joyous. All Thanksgiving meals should feature food, flowers and wine.
From Boston to Byfield or Roxbury to Rockland... Exotic Flowers Thanksgiving flowers are a tradition for families and restaurants in Boston.
Most purists suggest white wine for Thanksgiving dinner, but I am a red wine drinker and I am sharing my top five red wines for Thanksgiving.
- Simi Reserve Cabernet - full bodied with rich dark fruit. Ideal wine for a smaller intimate Thanksgiving dinner.
- 337 Cabernet - the best bang for the buck on the list. A thoroughly enjoyable Cabernet can plenish the masses for only $10 per bottle.
- Hitching Post Pinot Noir - made famous by the movie Sideways; this Pinot is full bodied and is ideal if you are going with a vibrant King Salmon for your dinner.
- Kendall Jackson Summation - smoother than Cabernet and richer than Merlot with a nice Zinfandel bite; this varietal is an all star at under $15 per bottle. Fun wine and highly recommended for a dinner party.
- Pinot Noit Carneros Sean Minor - not only affordable but exceptional and a great social media campaign at www.twitter.com/seanminor
Five top notch red wines for Thanksgiving.
Of course don't forget the flowers. Flowers, food, wine, friends, family. Start your own tradition.
Red wine, beautiful flowers and great red meat are some of my favorite things. When you can combine all three, you will not only have a memorable meal, but you will ignite all your senses. Let me walk you through a memorable meal that I recently enjoyed at The Capital Grille in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts. While you savor this meal, remember the key to a Great meal is company and decor as well. No meal would be complete without a flowers in the room or on the table.
For starters, a 2009 Byron Pinot Noir was poured to accompany my assortment of warm bread and focaccia. The dominant themes are dark berries, cherries, rose petal, red plum, brown spice and smoke. A great starter with an explosion of flavor.
To accompany my blue cheese and bacon wedge salad; a 2003 Freemark Abbey Cabernet Bosche was chosen. This wine has an intense, deep ruby color. Dark fruit aromas of blackberry, plum, black cherry, and currant. Bright fruit aromas mingled with sweet oak, dark chocolate, slight clove, cinnamon, and black pepper. A nice match with the flavors of blue cheese and bacon. Not quite the Byron, but enjoyable.
My next course featured medium rare Filet Mignon topped with lump crab meat accompanied by mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. For this decadent entree, a 2006 Chalk Hill Estate 2006 Cabernet was chosen. Wow this was a winner. Everything you'd want in a Cabernet. Throughout this meal, candles flickered in the twilight. Aromas wafted from the kitchen. Rose petals decorated the table as a tower of sunflowers loomed over room divider. With an incredibly satisifying meal, our waiter insisted on us experiencing the RL Buller Portly Gentleman Port to go along with a complimentary berry covered creme brule. Although we were stuffed to the gills, this pairing was heavenly.
Aside from the masterpiece of desert; this meal could easily be replicated in your Boston backyard. Start with flowers and plants from Exotic Flowers (we will pick flowers that do not interfere with the aroma of your food) for your decor; steaks from the Butcher Boy in North Andover; and wines from Gary's Liquors in Chestnut Hill. Pick some great music and do not forget the candle light. Of course pick some great guests, family and friends. Invite the kids, youthful enthusiasm is infectious.
- #5 - Maintain and nurture our relationship with technology. In January, 2011 Exotic Flowers will be in your pocket. Our floralApp will go live for both your Android or iPhone. You will be able to order flowers from your cell phone with a just a few button pushes and be able to pay with your Paypal account. Exotic Flowers in Boston knows how busy you are and wishes to make ordering flowers hastle free.
- Resolution #4 - Wine and Roses at Exotic Flowers in Roslindale. For over 20 years, Exotic Flowers has held a package store license in Roslindale for our gift baskets. Finally we are going to bring our wine selection to the front of the store so our clients can not only buy their roses on the way home, but their wine too. We also deliver wine, champagne and spirits in the entire Boston area.
New Years Resolution #3 - invest a higher precentage of our marketing budget in packaging. In 2011, we have chosen not to renew our Yellow pages ad. We are using these funds to reinvest in monogramed bags, cellophane and interior and exterior signage.
New Years Resolution #2 - 'Fish where the fish are.' You will no longer see Exotic Flowers trying to sell popsicles to eskimos. You will see a concerted effort by our staff to remind flower buyers of the importance of flowers for speical events like Easter, Passover, Secretaries Day and Thanksgiving.
New Years Resolution #1. Find more ways to send Yes to our customers. We will no longer be afraid to price for our services. If you have a special request, we will do our best to say yes and offer your fair price for your request.
While In Europe, guests often bring flowers when visiting someone's home for dinner or an event. Guests in the United States, on the other hand often bring a bottle of wine.
Why the difference ? Well of course the cultural habits of both societies has evolved over hundreds of years. In Europe, wine is a staple in most homes and does not carry the intrinsic value we perceive in the United States. In the United States, quality flowers and bouquets are not as readily available. Local flower shops often practice banker's hours and are not always ready or asking for the sale.
Flower shops in the United States have seen a steady decline in the past ten years. Perhaps if these defunct neighborhood flower shops had extended their hours to meet the needs of flower buying customers; they might still be open today.
Both Exotic Flowers in Roslindale and Boston are open seven days. Our Faneuil Hall - Quincy Market flower market is even open til 9pm on six days and open until 7pm on Sunday. As Boston's Premier Florst, the staff at Exotic Flowers tries to be where our shoppers are. We are not only open seven days, but our clients can order online at www.exoticflowers.com 24 hours per day and we will even be in your pocket in December. Starting December, Exotic Flowers will be offering an application (floralApp) for both the iPhone and the Android.
Wine of course has many health benefits, but one bottle of wine is only good for 4-5 glasses. One beautiful cornucopia of flowers is good for 5-7 days and enlightens over 20 dinner guests.
"Bread feeds the body, indeed, but flowers feed also the soul." - The Koran
This Thanksgiving, lift the spirits of your friends and family. Both Exotic Flowers in Boston and Roslindale will be open until 2pm for all your hostess gift needs.
Of course, if you are stuck on getting wine. Exotic Flowers in Roslindale does have a liquor license and sells wine. We will be featuring our holiday wine picks, just in time for Thanksgiving.
Remember, we are the local Boston florist who yearns to serve all your needs.